Tile floors are a popular choice for kitchens, bathrooms, and entryways, but over time, the grout lines can become dingy, discolored, and downright dirty. However, cleaning grout tiles is not that difficult and you can achieve professional-like results by following the right cleaning technique for tile grout.
In this post by Fixing Expert, we’re going to give a step-by-step explanation for cleaning and maintaining grout. Plus, there will be discussion about the grout restoration and repair process as well.
What Is Grout & Why Is It Important For Tile Floor Installation?
Grout is a cement-based material that is used to fill the spaces between tiles in flooring installation. It plays an important role in keeping the tiles in place. Plus, it also helps to prevent water and debris from getting between the tiles and causing damage.
In addition to its functional role, grout can also have a significant impact on the overall appearance of a tile floor. It is available in a wide range of colors, allowing homeowners to match or contrast the grout with the color of their tiles. The right color choice of grout enhances the beauty of the tiles and creates a cohesive look for the floor.
Understanding The Concept Of Tiles & Grout
There are various types of tile materials available in the market, including ceramic, porcelain, stone, glass, and metal. Each type of tile material has its unique properties and characteristics that affect its durability, appearance, and maintenance requirements.
Similarly, there are different types of grout available, including sanded, unsanded, epoxy, and urethane grout. The choice of grout depends on factors such as the size of the grout lines, the type of tile material, and the location of the tile installation.
The right choice of grout for your tiles is crucial to ensure the longevity and appearance of your tile installation. It is important to consider the size and shape of the tiles, as well as the color and texture of the grout.
Grout is prone to staining due to its porous nature and exposure to dirt, dust, and moisture. Different types of stains, such as food, grease, rust, and mold, can have varying impacts on grout depending on their severity and duration. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help prevent stains from setting in and damaging the grout.
The Essential Tools & Materials Needed For DIY Grout Cleaning
If you’re planning to do a DIY grout cleaning project, you will need some essential tools and materials. With the necessary tools and materials, you can effectively clean your grout and restore your tile floors to their original shine.
- Grout cleaner
- Protective gear (gloves and goggles)
- Scrub brush
- Grout brush
- Grout sealer
Cleaning Grout & Tiles: Tips For Personal Safety & Flooring Preparation
Before starting a DIY grout cleaning project, always ensure personal safety, such as wearing protective gear like gloves and goggles. Additionally, it is recommended to test the grout cleaner on a small area first to ensure it doesn’t damage the tile or grout.
To prepare the grout and tiles for cleaning, sweep or vacuum the area to remove loose dirt and debris. Pre-treat heavily stained areas with a paste made of baking soda and water, and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When DIY Cleaning Grout & Tiles
You should know about some common things to avoid when cleaning grout and tiles yourself. We’ve summarized them below;
- Using abrasive tools that can scratch or damage the tile surface.
- Too much water can cause the grout to weaken or become discolored, so use water carefully.
- Failing to properly rinse and dry the tiles after cleaning, leaves behind a hazy residue.
- Neglecting to apply a grout sealer after cleaning, leaves the grout vulnerable to future stains and damage.
What’s The Best Way To Clean Tile Grout In The Kitchen?
Cleaning tile grout in the kitchen can be a challenging task, but with the right approach, it can be done effectively. Here’s how you can do it at home;
- Sweep or vacuum the kitchen tiles floor to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Apply a high-quality grout cleaner to the grout lines.
- Use a grout brush to scrub the grout lines thoroughly.
- Let the cleaner sit on the grout for a few minutes before rinsing with water.
- Use a fresh cloth or mop to dry the spot.
- Apply a grout sealer to protect the grout from future stains and damage.
How To Clean Tile Grout In Shower?
Cleaning tile grout in the shower is important to keep your bathroom looking clean and fresh. Here’s an effective and straightforward approach;
- Spray the grout lines with a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrub the grout lines with a stiff-bristled brush or an old toothbrush.
- Rinse the grout lines with warm water.
- For tough stains, mix baking soda and water into a paste and apply to the grout lines.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing.
Grout Tile Maintenance: The Expert Advice
Clean grout is everyone’s desire for appealing home interiors. For maintaining grout tiles, follow the steps explained below.
- Vacuum the floor regularly to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Clean up spills immediately to prevent stains.
- Create a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar and use it to wipe down the tiles and grout once a week.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that can damage the grout.
- Apply a grout sealer every six months to protect the grout from moisture and stains.
Read More: 5 Most Affordable Home Flooring Materials
How To DIY Repair & Restore Grout Tiles At Home?
There are cracks, chips, and missing pieces of grout between your tiles, and that reduces the aesthetics of your space flooring. So, what’s the solution? It’s time to repair and restore your grout tiles.
The best thing is you don’t have to be an expert flooring installer or something for DIY repair and restoration of grout tiles.
1. Clean The Area
Make sure the working area is clean and free of debris before you start the repair process. It’s better to wash the floor and use a grout brush to remove dust or dirt particles.
2. Remove Damaged Grout
You need to use a grout saw to remove the damaged or cracked grout. Be careful not to damage the surrounding tiles. This process requires some attention to detail for proper execution.
3. Mix & Apply New Grout
Mix the new grout material according to the manufacturer’s instructions and apply the material to the affected area using a grout float.
4. Smoothen The Grout
Using a smoothing tool, you need to even the grout level between tiles and all the way along. Make sure to remove excessive grout material with a damp sponge at the end.
5. Seal The Grout
Wait for the grout material to dry completely. After that, seal it with a grout sealer to prevent future damage and staining.
Why Professional Grout Tile Installations Are Recommended?
Hiring professional grout tile installers is the best option because they ensure proper and precise installations. Equipped with the necessary tools and equipment, they showcase expertise to install grout tiles perfectly thus, reducing the risks of tiles cracking or shifting over time.
Additionally, professionals may offer advice on the best type of tiles and grout to use for your specific needs.
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint: Eco-Friendly Options To Clean Grout Tiles
Why add to the environmental distress when you can opt for eco-friendly ways to perform the same task? Yes, cleaning grout tiles can also be effectively done by using natural cleaning agents or home remedies.
One option is to use equal parts vinegar and water and use a brush to scrub the grout. Similarly, you can make a paste by mixing proportionate amounts of baking soda and water. This paste when applied to the grout should be left for several minutes before scrubbing with a brush.
For tough/resistant stains, you can try a combination of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Additionally, you can use reusable cleaning tools like microfiber cloths and washable brushes to further reduce environmental waste.
FAQs–Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Color Grout To Use With White Tiles?
White grout is a popular choice for white tiles, as it creates a clean and seamless look.
2. What Color Grout To Use With Beige Tiles?
A light beige or tan color grout is often used with beige tiles to create an appealing and natural look.
3. What Color Grout To Use With Grey Tiles?
A light grey or mid-tone grey grout is a popular choice for grey tiles, as it can create a subtle contrast.
4. What Color Grout To Use With Blue Tiles?
A light grey or white color grout is often used with blue tiles to complement the cool tone of the blue.
5. What Color Grout To Use With White Subway Tiles?
A light grey or white color grout is typically used with white subway tiles to create a classic and timeless look.
6. What Is The Best Grout To Use With Porcelain Tiles?
Epoxy grout is the best for porcelain tiles as it is durable, stain-resistant, and waterproof. It also prevents cracks and bacteria growth.
7. Can You Use Dark Grout With Light Tiles?
Yes, dark grout can create a dramatic contrast with light tiles, but it’s important to consider the overall aesthetic and design.
8. How To Clean Tiles After Grout Installation?
After grout installation, wipe tiles with a damp sponge to remove any grout haze. At least wait 72 hours and then clean tiles with a pH-neutral cleaner.
9. How Often Should You Clean Grout Tiles?
Grout tiles should be cleaned every 3-6 months depending on the traffic and use.
10. What Are Some Home Remedies For Cleaning Grout Tiles?
Home remedies for cleaning grout tiles include using baking soda and vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, and a mixture of water and dish soap.
11. Is It Safe To Use Bleach For Cleaning Grout Tiles?
Although bleach can be used for cleaning grout tiles it should always be diluted and used with caution to avoid damaging the tiles.
12. What Should I Do If My Grout Tiles Are Severely Discolored Or Damaged?
It is best to seek professional help for the repair or replacement of grout tiles because DIY methods will worsen the problem, especially if you’re an inexperienced person.
Being the foremost interior fitout company in Dubai, Fixingexpert has firmly established itself as a trusted source for top-notch interior solutions. Our dedicated team is always ready to address your interior decor needs.